Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Where Do Kids Like To Read?



We talk a lot about what kids like to read -- but where?
Most adults seem to read sitting on furniture or in bed. Children, on the other hand, will read in the oddest places and positions. I've seen them reading upside down hanging off a bunk bed or scrunched into a ball under a table. When I was about 7, I started reading in my closet, perched up on a high deep shelf. It was near the light bulb and awfully hot and stuffy, but I was surrounded by stuffed animals and it felt secret and private. Reading can be an intensely private act; maybe that's why the "Caught reading!" photos I posted on my website prompted such interest. I asked our students to post little pieces of paper, mentioning a favorite book and their favorite place to read. Selected answers:

On my mailbox. In a closet. In the forts I build at home. In my treehouse.
On the playground in the grove. In a comfy, hidden nook. On my parents' bed.
In my tent. In the exciting places! The beach. Under my desk.
In the corner of my room on a giant fluffy dog. In the bathtub. On the toilet.


Anybody catch anybody reading somewhere fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment