Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Altruism, plus, Why I Hate The Giving Tree

(If you are having trouble seeing the pictures or video, click to go directly to The Pithy Python)

I see little gestures of kindness all day. A 5 year old girl pats the seat beside her, inviting a child who has just arrived to join the group. A 7 year old boy responds to a story about the death of a dog with tears, and his classmate hands him a tissue and puts an arm around his shoulder. A 10 year old boy passionately recommends a book to a friend and pulls the friend over to check it out. Children hold doors for me when my hands are full, reach down and pick up my glasses when I drop them, and ask me if my cold is better. I am often encouraged by research showing children's natural tendencies toward altruism, but I witness it on my own all the time.


When Jerry Pinkney (finally!) won The Caldecott Award, his acceptance speech for The Lion and the Mouse concluded,

"... I believe ultimately the enduring strength of this tale is in its moral: no act of kindness goes unrewarded. Even the strongest can sometimes use the help of the smallest. To me the story represents a world of neighbors helping neighbors, unity and harmony, interdependence."

The story helps us all remember that no kind act is ever wasted. Some of my favorite picture books are abundant with loving-kindness -- you know, the ones where you choke up while you're reading aloud and the kids worry about you:


A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip Christian Stead
A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams
Saving Strawberry Farm by Deborah Hopkinson
Zen Shorts and Zen Ties by Jon Muth
Thank You Mr. Falker, Trees of the Dancing Goats and many other by Patricia Polacco
The Talking Eggs by Robert San Souci
Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
One Grain of Rice by Demi
Toads and Diamonds by Charlotte Huck
The Lady in the Box by Ann McGovern
Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaret Kind Mitchell
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Corduroy by Don Freeman
How To Heal a Broken Wing by Bob Graham
Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora
Sophie's Masterpiece by Eileen Spinelli

So...Now I can be unkind because it's my blog and I can. Does anyone else hate The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein?
To refresh your memory, it opens, "Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy."
The little boy proceeds to take her apples when he needs money, chop her branches when he needs shelter, cut her trunk when he needs a boat, and finally, as an old man, comes and sits on her stump. And this makes her happy.

And this makes me incensed. This is not kindness, this is absurd self-sacrifice on the altar of selfishness. But there are many opinions on this: click here to read an analysis and hundreds of response posts. In fact, click on the comment button below and we can start our own conversation! (Or ask me and I can direct those of you over 18 to some fine parodies.)

Meanwhile, the students have been on my case to make another animation with the Library Bunnies. This one was inspired by a slip of paper in the Idea Box which said, "I Don't Know How To Check Out Books." These bunnies are always kind and supportive to one another, even if they are occasionally anxious, neurotic and perfectionistic . Sometimes they remind me of my own students. Just don't ask me who.

Don%27t+Know+How+To+Check+Out by PithyPython

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree on the Giving Tree. I've always found it very icky and infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot on about the Giving Tree. I think that book could use one more picture. On the very last page, the old man sits on the stump. From the stump has grown a tiny twig. On that twig is a tiny leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you! I will treasure the alternative ending with glee! Wish I could glue it into the library copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought the Giving Tree was tongue-in-cheek & that Shel was having a laugh! The book I hate is the Runaway Bunny. It should be called the Obsessively Controlling Mother. :)

    ReplyDelete