Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful


Thanksgiving stories: This year, I emphasized the idea of immigration and Thanksgiving, encouraging students to talk to their parents about this hot topic. We read Eve Bunting's How Many Days to America, in which a family escapes from Cuba in a leaky boat and lands in the U.S. on Thanksgiving Day, warmly welcomed. I also read Molly's Pilgrim, a story that shows how ugly some Americans can be about people with different customs, appearance and language. I asked children to write down things they are thankful for on the library bulletin board this month -- here are some samples (spelling intact).

my dog
gorilas!
donnuts
Tigger
my dog Josie
my bruther
hockey
The U.S. Air Force
Natiy (that's me, folks!)
my life
God
Disney World
my famule
soccer
dolphins
you
my fiend
sandwichs
my school Paideia
the librare

I am thankful for Thomas Friedman's article about school achievement, "We Need Better Parents." At last! Someone who is not an education expert cites a study, and in the New York Times at that, telling the world about the topic so dear to my heart: Reading aloud is one of the most important things you can do to help your child do well in school. I am thankful I teach in a school full of parents who enjoy reading to their children.

I am also thankful for anyone who sends me something to make me laugh. Thanks to my husband Matthew for sending me the link to this video of Jimmy Fallon channeling Jim Morrison & the Doors (sorry I can't embed it). If you need a refresher on the original, here you go:

No comments:

Post a Comment