Friday, February 10, 2012

Officer Earlybird

I had Earlybird Duty this week. That means standing at the parking lot and greeting children as they arrive, and trying to make sure they don't get run over. Captain Scott does it with such good cheer, so I try to be inspired by his example. I greet the children by name and notice which ones cheerfully answer back, which ones grunt hello and which ones ignore me. I don't take it personally. But I especially delight in the terms of endearment parents use as they drop off their children: "'Bye... Sweetpea! Lovebug! Sugarplum! Buddy! Scooter! Honey Bear! Girlfriend! Little Man! Sweetie pie! School girl!"

and one little boy calls out "Ciao, Papa!" every morning as he exits the car.

Today a first grader got out of the car holding what was clearly an all-important blankie.
Me, all friendly: Hi, Peter! Bringing your blanket to school?
Peter, sadly: Yes, my neck hurts. (And he held a corner of the blanket up to his neck for the analgesic effect.)

At least 5 kids told me what they had been reading as they pulled up, and two of them handed me books to return. And the sight of me prompted 4 guilty parents to call out the window, "Oh, I'm so embarrassed. I still have library books out! I promise I'll return them!" I try not to be a nag. But those books were checked out for last summer. And only two children arrived while watching DVDs on their own personal screens in the backseat.

Years ago, our headmaster said watching carpool could be called "Volvos on Parade." Which always makes me think of the historic moment when a kindergartener was looking at a book on human anatomy. He carefully sounded out the word next to a private part of the female body and exclaimed in horror, "They named a car after THAT? My mom drives one of those!"

Other fine library moments of late:

A 5th grade girl with the call number for the book Smart Girls' Guide to Boys. She explains loudly, "It's not for me, it's for my friend."

I found three puberty books hidden in amongst the nonfiction bird books. I guess that person hopes to find them there next time. Also, the potty training books remain of enormous interest to the third graders. As I always say, reading is reading.

I read a football book to a 6 year old girl, her choice:

Me: Wow, we can tell from this photo that he's been playing hard. Look at how dirty his uniform is -- grass stains here, mud here, blood there... That's a lot of laundry!
Rachel: Yes, if I were a football player, my mom would do my laundry.

And finally, our dear library friend Wini donated a stunning doll from her childhood, and from her mother's childhood. Her name is Madeline and, as Wini explained, "She needs to be around children." I put her up near Anselm, the Owl of Wisdom (my paperwork with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services is current, thank you), along with the Newbery-award winner Hitty, Her First Hundred Years, in which a doll recounts her adventures with her many owners. Come and visit her!





Quote of the week, anonymous: "You know how it is in the kid's book world: It's just bunny eat bunny."

No comments:

Post a Comment