Thursday, July 22, 2010

From my mailbox

The postcards on summer reading are arriving . (So are Paideia library books returned in error to Cobb County, Fulton County and DeKalb County Public libraries. Good thing libraries can get books back to the right library.)

In addition to the regular cards, I've gotten a post card from Niagara Falls, featuring a boat with 6 year old Lia's writing scrawled across it: "I was on HERE!!!" Jasper sent me a card from Washington D.C., where he enjoyed Pinky and Stinky. I also got two postcards from 11 year old Isabel in China, travelling with her grandmother and sister; she lists what she's read and includes a dig at her older sister: "I'm almost done with my fourth book, Camilla!"



Some of my favorites so far:

Lexie, age 3: Around the House the Fox Chased the Mouse by Rick Walton. "I liked the bus that went 'Bleh.' I colored over the stars and under the stars because that's what it was about."

Helen, age 4: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig. "This was the best story ever. It was so so nice and so so sad. The police were really pigs. Don't worry, no person will really turn into a rock."

Lynn, age 11: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson. "It was very suspenseful, but lacked meaningfulness. There were too many morbid parts, although the characters were realistic."

Miles, age 11: Cirque Du Freak Book 1: A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan. "It was very adventurous and witty. The narrator was the main character, so it was cool to hear what the character was thinking. He really sucked you into the book. I felt like I had a picture in my head!"

Cedar, age 11: Messenger by Lois Lowry. "It made me feel how lucky I am to be here ... those books she writes make me feel spoiled because of all I get. It made me want to do something with my life."



Mari, age 11: Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson. "I got to know what it was that black people and white people thought about each other in the 1970s. Also it kind of gave me a more 'holy' perspective of things."




And finally, my colleague Peter Richards, teacher of 9 & 10 year olds, mailed back the audio book of Twilight with a note:
"Listening to this, I was aware of losing buckets of brain cells. I called it quits after disc 4. Gosh, what rotten writing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment