Monday, April 27, 2009

Netiquette: Children Online

Children's behavior online continues to astonish me. Although we have very little real "cyberbullying" at our school, we have had a few incidents of children sending goofy or embarrassing online messages, sometimes anonymously (or, at least the children THINK they are anonymous), with students as young as 3rd or 4th grade. I have been looking carefully at the massive amount of material out there on cyberbullying and online safety. Keeping one step ahead of children and their online behavior is another thing they never taught me in library school last century but I'm tackling it. How do we best teach about this issue?

I have used these compelling public service announcement videos over the past few years with students in our 10-12 year old classes.
What Is Cyberybullying? An 8 minute video with advice for parents and children.
The Talent Show -- If you wouldn't say it in person, why say it online?
The Kitchen -- Online messaging provides no face, no visual feedback.
The Feathers in the Wind -- The damage of gossip.

When I survey the 10-12 year old classes in half groups during their library time, most children say they have no personal experience with unpleasant, scary or embarrassing online messages. Unfortunately, though, one or two in every group has had this experience. The single most important message that I hope to deliver in our animated discussions is that they need to get an adult to help. Too many kids simply endure these painful or uncomfortable communications because they don't know what to do or worse, worry that they deserve them. I ask, "Who would you ask for help if you were getting messages that were troubling to you?" Although many children answer that they would turn to their parents, a few respond, "I would never tell my parents because then they would cut me off from my computer/iPhone/etc." A good number indicate that they would turn to a friend, who could help them craft a real zinger of a response. I explain that escalating the stakes could get them into trouble too.

I have put together information about children, computers and online safety tips for parents on a page of my website: Internet Safety for Parents. In addition, our Technology Department has put together information, Internet Safety and Your Child. Parents who learn of mischief and misbehavior among their child's classmates online, even when it doesn't occur at school, can be our best allies in helping children make safe, ethical use of these important 21st century tools.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie: I am very appreciative of your wisdom and skills and the team approach that we use to address such issues as cyberbulling and Internet safety. As I read your remarks it came to mind that even if only one or two children in a group have had an unpleasant experience on the Internet at this point in their cyber travels that because of your discussions how much better prepared they will be when the times come and it happens to them. We know in all likely hood the time will come. Your discussions also give students an awareness of how the recipient feels which is also important. How to best inform parents is another question. We'll keep talking. Very nice job. Kathy

    ReplyDelete